Archaeology in the City of London walk

Yesterday I did a walk for London Walk on the archaeology of the City - the Easter Half. Not a good title but a good walk. The route was:

Tower of London,
Cooper's Row Wall
Crutched Friars
Rangoon Street
Fenchurch St
Lime St
Lime St Passage
Whittington Avenue
Leadenhall Street
Gracechurch Street
St Peter Church
St Michaels Church
Lombard Street
East Cheap
fish Street Hill
Pudding Lane

I found various things out I had not realised - Customs House excavation were in the lot to the East of the Customs House. I found the site of the ankle-breaker ditches in Northumberland St and Fenchurch St.

I worked out exactly where the edges of the Forums were and how the Churches fit onto the site.

I found Plantation House - which I have read about but never quite pinned down - although exactly where the Boudicca compound was I'm not so sure.

Great Walk - about 20 people and the alleyways around St Peters are really quite lovely - had they been in any other 2000 year old Capital City they would be a major tourist attraction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updated Lincoln's Inn Fields Wikipedia page

How London is Divided Up