Darwin Week


I spent last week running a course on Darwin to celebrate his 200th anniversay. It was really very enjoyable - I took three groups around Downe House darwinatdowne.co.uk

It was here that he did most of his work - they are applying for World Heritage Status as this area is essentially his outdoor laboratory. Its amazing that it is but 16 miles from London and yet so utterly rural. This is the reason Darwin stayed there. The house is well interpreted - using a pda system which is useful for the garden in particular. But I also organised a guided walk around the fields - really enjoyed it although would have been better if my natural history were up to my history.

I managed a one point to mention newton, darwin and dickens in one sentence and it made sense! I feel if my own education has been finished off as I can now include darwin in my world view while before he was in a separate scientific sphere.

I organised a tour to Oxford University Museum where we were given special entry to the Library where the Oxford debate took place between Huxley and Soapy Sam Wilberforce.


I also organised a Darwin in London tour and a tour of Darwin in Cambridge. I went around Darwin's rooms in Christ Church which were big!

Darwin is I must say very inspiring.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updated Lincoln's Inn Fields Wikipedia page

How London is Divided Up