Keeping a creative journal in the museum and heritage world


I have been keeping a 'creative journal' for just over a year now and so, thought it might be an idea to review its usefulness.

My method is to buy a really nice A4 book. I divide page in 2 and headline each day. I use pictures to represent places I have visited and events I have attended. The pictures are mostly taken from my Treo mobile phone - quality is appalling but it is always with me so like a lomu gives some interesting result. I try and take pictures of me in various places - although I don't like it as I've got to the age when all pictures remind you that you are getting old and ugly! I would like to illustrate the journal with drawing but cannot draw - I do intend to go on a course to try to learn to draw. I also use printed ephemera whenever possible and should continue with this.

I use words to describe the day,and have tried using headings, subheadings, underlining and use of icons for repeating events to make it easier to scan through.

I have tried to tidy the journal up using simple graphic methods such as alignment and proximity (derived from reading the Non-Designers Design Book).

The inspiration for the journal came from my attendance on a PG Certificate in Higher Education where we learnt of the importance of reflective practice AND the fact that we ask students to keep creative journals. So I thought I should try it out. One of my students, Caf Fean, brought in a lovely book called:

Drawing from Life - the journal as art by Jennifer New

which acted as an inspiration with some amazingly beautiful examples and on the internet I found another more down to earth guide called:

How to make a journal of your life' by D Price.

Looking at the journal for this year I have the following observations

Although I have made it less messy it is still not a work of beauty! Pictures are good but there is generally an absence of the people in my life - so I should include photos of people I meet and try to make the images represent those I spend time with. Also I need to find a way of representing places I visit on a regular basis in an innovative way. The erratic nature of the quality of my printer is also a concern.

The writing - very brief and designed for me - I need to make it more interesting so have decided to find someone I am going to write it for - no idea who as yet - although I am thinking of an, as yet unborn, grandchild.

From a personal point of view I have really enjoyed doing it - using images as well as text makes it very easy to review past periods quickly. Having kept diaries from time to time I have found the main problem with them is that their density makes it difficult to review long periods of time - frankly, it get boring reading them,and if you are like me, it is hard to read the handwriting. The use of images helps skip back and review activity - a whole year in 30 minutes - each picture is a great aid-memoir.

It has changed my life to an extent - in that it has reminded me that I have a very interesting and varied life while I did have a tendency to think I had a boring life. Also, it has made me more optimistic, made me feel I was getting somewhere and that I was creative.

On the downside, it does take time and maybe if I was not navel gazing I might actually get that book written or that project pinned down. It has not helped keep ideas current - the ideas are still stuck somewhere in my head or out there in the journal, so, so far, the journal is useful as a diary of what I have been doing - less successful as a diary of my reflections, thoughts and idea development.

The journal is a public document in that I do not keep it secret and don't mind friends and family to look at it - but this means I am missing something as it means I censor it. So, in a way I am absent from the journal.

The relationship with the Blog is also difficult because half of the stuff is here and half in my journal- not sure which is more useful.

I would say, so far, more successful from a personal level than a work level. I am sure it will be interesting to look back on in years and generations to come.

ICT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updated Lincoln's Inn Fields Wikipedia page

How London is Divided Up